Monday, May 3, 2010

Learn From Everything That You Experience

As human beings, we go through so many different things. We experience so much, and we have so many things happen that we are blessed to learn from. If we choose to learn from them.

There are so many things that happen in life that we just dismiss and don't learn from. We need to learn from everything that happens. If we don't, we'll have to re-experience it.

I think of it this way, somewhat like the Buddhists do when they travel on their journey to self-actualization. Or how we Christians do when on our path to living like Jesus. Our challenge in life is to learn from what we have experienced. The most traumatic events, the slightest encounters, each and every one of them are learning opportunities.


Traumatic Events May Usually Spur Change


Many people have to suffer a traumatic event to make changes. Breakups with borderlines can be quite traumatic, and this will often make us start to make changes in ourselves. This is good change. We learn from our negative experiences, and as humans, we try to minimize our negative or threatening experiences.

However, even the most mild encounter, positive or negative, is an opportunity for growth and change. Maybe we did something that we could have done better. Maybe we had something happen to us where we reacted improperly.

I recently got poison ivy after removing a fallen tree that fell in the road. I saw the tree and knew that cars could get around it, but it was causing trouble. I was running by and just picked up the tree and moved it, not thinking that it was a poison ivy or oak tree.

Three days later, I am itching like there is no tomorrow and have poison ivy outbreaks on my hands, arm, leg and chest. It took me a couple of days to figure out how I got this poison ivy.

"Probably three boy scouts went past it, and you moved it," Jennie said.

So now, what do I learn from the experience? Not to try to be the good Samaritan before I think about what I'm doing.

You can and should learn from everything you experience, or you will make some of the same mistakes over and over again. Maybe you'll speak negatively or judge someone. Does it make you feel good, deep down inside? I bet not.

Learn from everything.

Recommended reading:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me your story and how it relates to Borderline Personality Disorder. I appreciate any and all comments that you leave on this blog, and as long as they do not contain inappropriate language or are not on-topic, will publish them. Please note that I cannot respond to blogs as this is an anonymous blog. However, I will publish all appropropriate comments.